Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Murmur

Tuesday mornings might be my favorite personal time of the week. I have a twelve minute walk to the ferry, another ten minutes of quiet on the ferry and then usually a few more minutes of solitude once I arrive at PCC. This morning was especially sweet.
I was waiting for a friend and was able to spend a few moments reflecting on AW Tozer's Insight for Leaders. I can't say that today's reading was especially encouraging. It was however, very real. I need real.
Tozer talked about our propensity to try to make earth our heaven, attempting to enjoy that which is eternal now. He adds that we are all spiritual idealists, trying to make this world into some type of spiritual utopia. Of this I am guilty.
Instead of taking on the posture of perservering through troubles I find myself asking why do I have to go through these things or what I did to deserve this? These are both the wrong questions. The right question is how can I press on without drawing attention to myself?
During this season of waiting (Advent), it would be so much greater to lift up my eyes to the heavens than to dwell on the things of this world, of what I do or don't have, what else has to be done, what's coming up, or why things are hard. If I am waiting expectantly for the return of my Priest and King, I'm able to walk through each season of life with a redemptive tone; one that's able to be shaped and formed in every situation.

Tozer states it like this:

"What then are we to do about our problems? We must learn to live with them until such time as God delivers us from them. If we cannot remove them, then we must pray for grace to endure them without murmuring. Problems patiently endured will work for our spiritual perfecting. They harm us only when we resist them or endure them unwillingly." Of God and Men, pp. 121-122

"Lord, I'm so homesick for heaven. But until You allow me to come home, I do indeed 'pray for grace to endure [problems] without murmuring.' Amen."

2 Comments:

Blogger John Byrne said...

Mike great post today!! Keep up the good work.

5:16 AM  
Blogger John Byrne said...

hey you should syndicate your blog to the alliance site.

5:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home