Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Michael Jackson

A lot transpired between our first meeting and what I consider our "first" date. There is some debate over what our actual first date really was, but the evening I'm referring to here was the first time we did something together by ourselves.

We went out for coffee at the world famous coffee shop in Toccoa; world famous only becuase we live in Hong Kong now and still speak of it, thus making it world famous. We had a good time talking, getting to know each other, listening to our stories, all the normal begginings that make romance both fun and stressful.

What I remember most fondly about this experience is the drive afterward. As we were travelling, I noticed she had some tapes in the car (yeah you could still find tapes in 1999). And much to my surprise and dismay, I found a copy of a Michael Jackson tape right there in her car. That's right, Michael Jackson. I think the tape in question was 'Bad', no doubt a fan favorite but certainly not something I'd expect in the car of the object of my affections.

She looked at me with the eyes that screamed, "I've got a Michael Jackson tape in my car and if you've got a problem with that then tough!" and with much grace allowed me to mercilessly mock her for years to come.

I don't care at all about her poor taste in music, but I loved the fact that she was her own person. I loved that she didn't care whether I liked her crappy music or not, it was hers and that's that. I loved the fact that she could laugh about it.

Looking back on that evening brings an obvious sense of fulfilment to my heart. She's time and again proven to be the most amazing woman I've ever met. As we listened to Michael Jackson that night I fell in love with a girl that could laugh at herself and have fun being her. I grow more hopelessly in love with that girl every day.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...

Hey, way to blog. You blog man! I read your blog. It's cheesy and cute...uhhhh, yeah, good post. No for real.

12:42 AM  
Blogger John Byrne said...

Mike,
I just want to know if she still listens to "Bad"?

12:57 AM  
Blogger Sarah LuAnne said...

im glad my time was after micheal jackson. thats all i have to say...

10:43 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Oh my... I totally wanted that TAPE,and never got it...

And I love your "world famous" logic. It's so you. :-)

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home